Please enter information in the form below to process registration for event 2020 Redfish Roundup - April 5.
The rules stated below will remain in effect for all 2020 HSJAA Tournaments. All decisions made by the tournament director and/or tournament officials will be final in all matters. The tournament director and/or the tournament officials can make a change when the safety of a contestant is in question or by a unanimous decision by the tournament committee. Any changes to the rules will be posted on the website WWW.HSJAA.COM. Warnings, penalties and disqualifications will be determined by the tournament officials. A digital signature will be required upon online registration stating that the angler, parent/guardian, and captain have read and understand all rules and regulations applicable for any and all HSJAA tournament series and events and may be used as acknowledgment for such.
All HSJAA tournaments and events will be divided into divisions based on age, bait selection, and captains’ credentials.
Team Division: A "team" shall consist of two contestants in the same bait and guide or non-guided division. (Most teamed events will be held for the Junior Division of anglers 13 to 17 years of age attending grade school but an Individual Junior Angler may fish as a team or a Youth Angler under the age of 13 may fish in the team division with a qualifying 13 to 17-year-old Junior Angler.) (If you are 18 years of age and attending grade school, you may fish as well.)
Individual: An individual will be an individual effort for the Youth Division ages 12 and under and the Junior Division ages 13 to 17 years of age attending grade school. (If you are 18 years of age and attending grade school, you may fish as well.)
Guided Division: Guided is defined by the boat captain (guide, parent, family friend, or other type of chaperon over the age of 21 controlling the boat) being a licensed captain, a fishing guide for hire or a Tournament angler who has won over $5000 in total winning in the last 24 months.
Non-Guided Division: Non-Guided would be any captain (parent, family friend, or other type of chaperon over the age of 21 controlling the boat) that does not meet the criteria in the above Guided Division.
Artificial Bait Division: Only artificial lures may be used in the artificial division No live bait, dead bait or prepared bait will be permitted.
Open Bait Division: Artificial, live bait, dead bait or prepared bait will be permitted.
1) Applicable Laws: Federal, State and Local laws shall be obeyed by contestants at all times. Contestants choosing to fish outside of Texas waters shall adhere to the local and state laws of the venue in which the contestant is fishing, including purchasing and possessing a valid fishing license for that state effective for the dates of competition. Violation of any federal, state and/or local laws shall result in the disqualification of any individual and/or team from fishing this HSJAA event and may disqualify (at the discretion of HSJAA Officials) the individual and/or team from participating in any/or all future HSJAA events.
2) Entry Fees, Tournament Registration and Identification, and Payout:
ALL DIVISONS ARE INDIVIDUAL UNLESS NOTED OTHERWISE
Payouts will be paid to the top 5 anglers in each division (if there are enough winners in that division) as follows:
1st Place 50%, 2nd Place 20%, 3rd Place 15%, 4th Place 10%, 5th Place 5%.
All entry fees are non-refundable and are in consideration for holding a team’s/individual’s spot and calculation of projected winnings for tournament officials.
3) Tournament Eligibility: Contestants must be 17 years or younger and attending grade school and passing all classes to participate in any and or all HSJAA tournaments and events. All anglers must fish with their legal guardian and or another adult approved by the minor’s legal guardian. HSJAA reserves the right to refuse participation in any event to any individual and/or team at the discretion of the organization.
4) Alcoholic Beverages and Illegal Drugs: Consumption of any alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs by contestant, parent/guardian, chaperon, captain, and or guide during tournament/event hours is prohibited and will result in disqualification.
5) Sportsmanship: HSJAA tournament/event participants are expected to follow the highest standards of sportsmanship, courtesy and ethics. Unsportsmanlike and unethical conduct will result in disqualification (at the tournament committee’s discretion). Please refer to the Texas Boating Safety Rules.
6) Permitted Tournament Fishing Waters: Contestants may fish in any inshore public water accessible by boat. "Inshore" for this series is defined as the navigable, tide consumable coastal waters, bays, rivers, and wetlands. • - No fishing is allowed within 300 yards of tournament site. • - No fishing is allowed within 500 yards of any ferry landing. •
- Contestants shall not fish in any area which has been "closed" by a governmental agency. • - Wade fishing is allowed, but contestants must remain within 300 yards of the boat. • - Participants are not allowed to fish within 150 feet (50 yards) of another anchored boat or wade fisherman unless they are invited in by the individual/team. An anchored boat is a boat held in a stable position by an anchor, a weight, push pole, Power Pole, or other "anchoring" mechanism with the trolling motor in the up position. If an individual/team invites another individual/team into the inviting individual/team’s 50-yard area, any tournament participant is also allowed within the waived area. Range finder and picture of boat behind range finder best way to bring this sort of protest to light. • - The boat anchored in an area first has the right to 150 feet radius of the area. • - If the boat does not have a trolling motor the definition of anchored still applies.
7) Permitted Fishing Methods: All tournament fish may be taken by rod, reel, and bait only. (the type of bait is defined as artificial tackle or open bait on a hook). All anglers must hook and reel in all fish brought to the scales. Guardians or Captains may cast the line and net the fish for the angler but MUST NOT assist in reeling or touch the line in anyway. Guardians, Captains, or any other person(s) on the boat besides the registered tournament angler(s) may not fish during tournament hours. Contestants may fish from a boat, pier, shoreline, kayak, canoe, etc. anywhere that is in the standards of legal waterways set by TP&W and may not fish from any private waters of any kind. Contestants shall not "harass" fish, to include such antics as "burning" or corralling of schools with a boat. Prior to and during the tournament, contestants shall not "cork" or otherwise mark fish or schools of fish for identification for the purposes of locating fish during tournament hours. Wade fishing is allowed. Teams/Individuals who wade-fish must remain within a 300-yard radius of the team’s/individual’s boat. However, contestants may not leave the boat to net a fish hooked while the contestant or his partner is in the boat. A wade-fisherman must net his own fish. Teams shall not have one participant fishing from the boat with the other teammate wade-fishing; both teammates must be fishing in the same manner. Both team members must be in the boat before the combustion engine is started.
8) Checkpoints: This is a trailed event, individuals/teams may launch from any marina or boat ramp of their choice. The launch time will be 30 minutes before sunrise (safelight). You can confirm this by searching the internet for the tournament days sunrise time. Once a team has checked in to the weigh station, that team will not be allowed to return to fish during the day’s competition and that team’s day of fishing shall cease. Check-in times will be between 2:00 PM and 4:00 PM. Contestants who are not at the official checkpoint area at the appointed time will be penalized at the rate of one-half (1/2) pound, per minute, which will be deducted from the team’s total day’s weight. Any contestant more than fifteen (15) minutes late will be disqualified from that day’s weight entry. Teams who are not able to check in due to equipment failure or other unforeseen circumstances are responsible for contacting the tournament director before the official check-in is over in order to determine an acceptable solution.
9) Polygraphs: A polygraph will be performed for each tournament held by HSJAA. The tournament director will have the 1st place winner in each division draw a numbered chip. The Captain (guide, parent, family friend, or other type of chaperon over the age of 21 controlling the boat) of the team or individual that draws the highest number must submit to a polygraph test the week following the day the tournament is held. By signature on the official tournament entry form, each contestant and Captain, Parent or Guardian agrees to submit to a polygraph test and be bound by its interpreted results and conclusions. All awards will be awarded to the team or individual the day of the tournament. If the polygraph is found deceptive, it is the responsibility of the Captain, Parent or Guardian to reimburse the tournament series (HSJAA) for all prizes awarded and the cost of the polygraph test. Polygraph tests may be issued at the discretion of the tournament director/committee for any reason, and each contestant hereby acknowledges and consents to the examination. The results and interpretations of the polygraph are final and each contestant hereby knowingly, intelligently and voluntarily waives any review of said test result, including any judicial process seeking to overturn, amend or otherwise negate the finding of the test administrator.
10) Insurance and Liability: Each boat entered into any HSJAA tournament/event shall have insurance coverage on your boat throughout the entirety of the series or for every event fished. It is the responsibility of the boat owner to carry liability insurance covering the vessel. HSJAA will not issue liability coverage for its events. A current copy of the individual/team captain’s insurance policy and each individual/team signed DECLARATION, WAIVER,
RELEASE, AND HOLD HARMLESS AGREEMENT shall be given to HSJAA before an individual/team may compete in any HSJAA event. All tournament participants, parent/guardian and captain are required to sign a digital waiver upon online registration absolving all tournament officials, officers, participants, sponsors and co-sponsors from any responsibility for damage or personal injury sustained as a result of the contestant’s participation in the tournament or its related activities, and the contestant’s signature on this form shall constitute an alternate release in the instance the member fails to sign the official DECLARATION, WAIVER, RELEASE, AND HOLD HARMLESS AGREEMENT.
11) Communication: No communication via multi-media methods, social networking, cell phone, e-tablet, laptop, radio, pager or any other device will be allowed from outside sources or tournament participants during tournament hours that will give a team or contestant any advantage from data or information regarding fishing the event. If a team has an emergency, a mechanical problem, or needs immediate assistance, teams may contact local authorities, emergency services, the Coast Guard or the tournament director. Teams must notify the tournament director immediately if these circumstances exist.
12) Boat, Motor and Horsepower Regulations: Each boat must have all required U.S. Coast Guard safety equipment. ALL BOATS MUST BE EQUIPPED WITH AN OPERABLE IGNITION KILL SWITCH. The kill switch device must be attached to the driver's body anytime the combustion engine is operating. Anytime the combustion engine is operating and in gear, there must be a driver in the driver's seat in full control of the boat. Any fuel tanks that are not installed by the boat manufacturer are prohibited. Fuel may be carried only in factory installed (built-in) fuel tanks. Any additional fuel used during the tournament day must be purchased from a retail facility open to the public.
13) Safety: Safe boating will be observed at all times. Each contestant is required to properly wear a U.S. Coast Guard approved, personal floatation device anytime the combustion engine is engaged. Tournament days may be shortened or canceled due to unsafe weather or water conditions. The decision to shorten or to cancel will be left totally to the discretion of the tournament director/committee. A 4-hour period shall constitute a day of fishing. It is the competitor’s responsibility to communicate with the Tournament Director if cancellation of the event is suspected. Cancellations will be communicated via VHF radios on a channel decided at the Pre-Tournament Meeting. If conditions are not safe on the tournament day, HSJAA reserves the right to reschedule the tournament on the next available weekend that does not conflict with another HSJAA event.
14) Tackle and Equipment: Only artificial lures may be used in the artificial division No live bait, dead bait or prepared bait will be permitted. In the Open bait division artificial, live bait, dead bait or prepared bait will be permitted. Only one rod and reel may be used at any one time per angler.
15) Fish: Team/Individuals weight: Individual/team’s tournament weight will consist of TWO red drum ("redfish"), measuring no less than 20 inches and no more than 28 inches, in length. Live fish may be culled; teams must keep (retain) dead fish. Contestants are responsible for keeping their fish alive. Any dead fish tendered for weight will be assessed a half-pound penalty. No altered, mutilated or iced fish will be accepted. Fish will be inspected for alterations in size, length and weight. Any altered fish shall result in the disqualification of the individual/teams weighing the altered fish and may result in a perpetual ban from all future HSJAA tournaments and events.
16) Scoring: Tournament awards and final winners shall be determined by the total weight of each individual/team’s catch during the tournament measured in pounds and 100th of a pound. All fish must be brought to the weigh station in a live weigh-in tournament bag provided by HSJAA. Fish may not be brought to weigh-in on a stringer or in a basket. Fish shall be weighed with the equipment provided by the SERIES.
17) Ties: If two or more individuals/teams have identical weight in the tournament, it will be considered a tie. In the event of a tie, the prize money from the consecutive places will be combined and split between the individuals/teams. For example, if two teams tie for fourth place, the amounts designated to fourth place AND fifth place will be combined, divided by two, then distributed to the teams, equally.
18) Protest Procedure: All protests must be submitted in writing, along with a $200.00 cash deposit. Protests must be submitted to the tournament director no later than 15 minutes following the weigh-in of the last fish. If the protest is upheld, the cash deposit will be returned to the person submitting the protest. The protester agrees that by filing a
protest, he may be subject to a polygraph test. The Captain (guide, parent, family friend, or other type of chaperon over the age of 21 controlling the boat) of the individual angler or team fishing the tournament may be polygraphed if there is a protest submitted. The Captain or parents of the anglers will be responsible for paying the polygraph fees. If the polygraph result in the team or individual being disqualified from the tournament. It is the Captain or Parents financial responsibility to reimburse the tournament for prizes paid to the team or individual fishing the tournament. All decisions will be made by the tournament director and committee and are final
19) Permission to be filmed for Television: All participants agree to be filmed, photographed, taped, interviewed, quoted or otherwise revealed, without compensation, by HSJAA or its assigns. This includes but is not limited to the official photographers, writers, hosts, or sponsors of this event under the conditions authorized by HSJAA organizers. Each contestant, by his digital signature upon registration, hereby gives HSJAA, and its assigns, the right to use (without compensation) the contestant’s name, picture, likeness, quotes, and biographical information, whether audio or visual, before, during and after the period of an individual or team participation in an event.
Remember Folks, this is all about the kids!
(DECLARATION, WAIVER, RELEASE, AND HOLD HARMLESS AGREEMENT)
In exchange for allowing my child to participate in HSJAA event (the “EVENT”) and the opportunity to win cash and prizes, I hereby acknowledge, affirm and agree to and/or otherwise declare the following: That
1) it is my responsibility to confirm that the vessel that my child or children will be using in the EVENT has an active, valid liability insurance policy or rider with a minimum liability coverage of $100,000 applicable to the boat owner, passengers, or other third parties injured as a result of any mishap involving the vessel;
2) the act of traveling in and fishing by use of a boat in tournament situations often times presents dangerous circumstances, including, but not limited to traveling at high rates of speed; exposure to inclement weather, such as high winds, fog, rain, and extreme heat or cold; striking or grounding on submerged objects, masses, debris, or land; being in close proximity to, including collisions with, other vessels or structures; use of sharp objects, including knives, scissors, pliers, tools, hooks, lures and the like; being subjected to exhaustion, fatigue, and/or dehydration; and/or being subjected to equipment or vessel failure (e.g. outboard motor, boat hull, pumps, trolling motor, batteries and electronic devices); yet, I willfully, knowingly, and voluntarily declare that I submit my child, his equipment and other property to these conditions and assume any risk arising out of or as a result of my child’s involvement in these circumstances. I agree to hold harmless HSJAA, its agents, principals and assigns and indemnify them with regard to any loss or damage to property (including fish to be presented at weigh-in) or persons arising out of any circumstances presented while my child is engaged in any act of participation in the EVENT, including, but not limited to, those acts during practice, captain’s meetings, tournament performance and while engaged in collateral/ancillary activities of the EVENT.
3) during the EVENT usage and maintenance of the above-referenced boat/vessel, instruments and equipment is not the responsibility of HSJAA, its principals, agents and assigns, and they are in no way responsible for failure of the equipment or any action of my child or a third party which could result in damages or losses to the property (including live fish to be presented at weigh-in) or person, or to those same damages or losses to a third person. I agree to hold harmless HSJAA, its agents, principals and assigns, as well as indemnify them in the event of a claim regarding any loss or damage to property or person arising out of my child’s usage of property or while participating in any activity in the EVENT.
4) I further agree to generally indemnify, defend and hold HSJAA or its agents, principals and assigns harmless from and against any and all liabilities, damages, losses, expenses, claims, demands, suits, fines, or judgments that include reasonable attorneys' fees, costs and expenses, incidental thereto, which may be suffered by, accrued against, charged to or recoverable from any party, by reason of any claim arising out of or relating to any act or error or omission, or misconduct of my child, agents or me during the EVENT, to the extent that the actions are not caused by an intentional act or gross negligence of HSJAA or, its agents, principals or assigns. In the instance that a third party has ANY claim against my child or me and joins Hook Spit Junior Anglers, its agents, principals or assigns, I have an obligation to defend said HSJAA parties by providing for the attorney’s fees and costs of such defense. I acknowledge and approve HSJAA, its agents, principals and assigns to choose their own attorney in such instance, but I still have the obligation to assume and pay fees, costs and the like.
5) I, both individually and on behalf of my child, agree to waive any right to compensation or a claim against HSJAA, its agents, principals, and assigns with regard to use of my child’s likeness or appropriation, thereof, in any media format, whatsoever. I further agree to indemnify HSJAA, its agents, principals, and assigns against any claim by a third party involving advertisement, sponsorship, or use of other marketing methods involving my child and said third parties or their product or services. I further agree that any media, photographs, video, audio and the like that includes the likeness of my child, me or our sponsorship, as produced by HSJAA, its agents, principals, and assigns is the sole property of HSJAA, and I waive any right of compensation or ownership claim to said property on behalf of my child and myself, individually. I acknowledge that HSJAA, its agents, principals and assigns have absolute authority to use my child’s likeness in any reasonable manner deemed appropriate by HSJAA, or its subordinates.
6) in this agreement “indemnity” or any of its forms has the meaning of recompense for loss, damage, or injuries; restitution or reimbursement.
7) I assume any and all liability and consequence of the chaperone, captain, guide or other person operating the vessel in which my child participates during any Event(s).
8) I am operating under full authority to individually act as agent on behalf of my child with regard to this release/agreement.
I HEREBY ASSUME FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANY RISK OF BODILY INJURY, DEATH OR PROPERTY DAMAGE arising out of or related to the EVENT(S) whether caused by the NEGLIGENCE OF HSJAA, ITS AGENTS, PRINCIPALS OR ASSIGNS, or otherwise. I CERTIFY THAT MY CHILD IS PHYSICALLY FIT AND OTHERWISE NOT MEDICALLY DISQUALIFIED OR AT RISK WHILE PARTICIPATING IN THESE EVENTS.
I HEREBY RELEASE HSJAA, ITS AGENTS, PRINCIPALS AND ASSIGNS FROM ALL LIABILITY FOR ANY AND ALL LOSS OR DAMAGE, AND ANY CLAIM OR DEMANDS THEREFROM ON ACCOUNT OF INJURY TO MY CHILD’S PERSON OR PROPERTY OR RESULTING IN HIS INJURY OR DEATH ARISING OUT OF OR RELATED TO THE EVENT, WHETHER CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE OF HSJAA, ITS AGENTS, PRINCIPALS OR ASSIGNS, OR OTHERWISE.
I HAVE READ THIS RELEASE AND WAIVER OF LIABILITY, ASSUMPTION OF RISK AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT, FULLY UNDERSTAND ITS TERMS, UNDERSTAND THAT I HAVE GIVEN UP SUBSTANTIAL RIGHTS FOR MY CHILD AND ME BY SIGNING IT, AND HAVE SIGNED IT FREELY AND VOLUNTARILY WITHOUT ANY INDUCEMENT, ASSURANCE OR GUARANTY BEING MADE TO ME AND INTEND MY SIGNATURE TO BE A COMPLETE AND UNCONDITIONAL RELEASE OF ALL LIABILITY TO THE GREATEST EXTENT ALLOWED BY LAW.
Please consider sponsoring us in our upcoming season.
HSJAA is a 501c3 Non-Profit Organization
The Hook Spit Junior Angler Association (HSJAA) is a 501c3 non-profit organization formed to promote health and education through the sport of fishing.
Phone: (832) 731-1794 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org